20 More Days in the CTM...(but who is counting?)

So I bet that all of you are really interested in how I am doing and all, so here it goes. I am doing really well actually. Last Friday we had our first tracking session. My companion and I passed out 3 copies of the Book of Mormon in less than an hour. We are super good, although he did more of the talking than I am. I need to practice talking more, but the language is coming along fine. I am not worried. It will come, on the Lord´s time, and I cannot ask to have it move quicker than I am able to learn.

Sorry Aly, Amy, and Eyrnn, I still have not gotten anything from you guys yet by way of mail. There has been a postal worker strike starting last week, but we are getting mail still. I am sure I will get it in a couple of days. Although Amy your package might not come before I leave. Packages take a long while to get down here. The quickest I´ve seen it has been 17 days and the longest I´ve ever seen it was more than 20 days, but I am sure it will get too me.

Seth, how is your new job coming? Oh wait, you have not started it yet, but when it does let me know. I am dying to find out. We had another Milestone, this time it was teaching the third lesson in English. Now we are working on the commandments in English. I don´t know how well I will be prepared for when I leave the CTM in 20 days, but everyone says that you learn more in the first 6 weeks than you do in the whole of time in the CTM, so I am not worried. I just hope that I get a Brazilian how knows a enough English that I can ease the transition. Like my friend Marcio, He is down in Santa Maria and I hope I have him as my trainer.

I got letters from Curty James, and Jamesy Curt. Those were really nice to get. They really made my day. I hope that you guys are doing well. And Curt I thank you for your letter in Portuguese. I could read most of it and I had to look up some of the words. But I understood most of it. I was trying to translate it verbatim, but I really just do not have the time in the CTM.

I ran out of deodorant and tooth past this week, right now I smell bad, but I bought some. It is kind of bad, they do not have stick deodorant here in Brazil just the spray kind. AXE is huge here. Every Brazilian has it. I am oh well, I am going to be alright. I am just going have to do the double-pits-to-chesty thing everyday. I feel like such a dork.

We started a new grammatical lesson on Monday. Present Subjunctive. We do not use it really every anymore in English. An example is God commands you that you keep His commandments. It is the hypothetical tenses, and it is really difficult and the Brazilians use it all the time; we also still have to do the past subjunctive and the future subjunctive. I understand how to write it, but with everything else I have trouble with speaking it, but I will get it one of these days. 4 months from now I wont be able to speak English very well, that is my prediction.

Also if you guys would not mind could you send me some English grammar books and Portuguese for dummies. I want something that I can practice everyday Portuguese instead of the gospel vocabulary only. It says in Preach My Gospel that the Lord expects you go gain a secular command of the Language as well as spiritual, and thus far there has not been anything given to me to learn that. I am also expected to help teach my Brazilian companions English hence the English Grammar books. I would be forever in your debt who ever would send it to me. I would send to the Mission Home In Santa Maria.

The Days are counting down and the time to go to the field is drawing near. I thank God everyday for this fact. I have not been so happy for anything more in my life.

Last Wednesday, I was asked to prepare the prelude music for Yesterdays devotional. My district and I sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives, I Will Go Where You Want Me To Go, and Abide With Me Tis Even Tide. I got to solo on I know My Redeemer Lives and I sang a duet with one of the Sisters in my District on Abide With Me Tis Even Tide. It was great. I felt the Spirit so abundantly that I got shivers to be honest.

Today was great. I got to eat lunch with one of my Instructors Irmão Melo. My District and I with Melo went to a Churrascaria, which is a Brazilian Barbecue place. One of the first things that my instructor had me eat ,without me knowing what it was, was coração de galhna or in English chicken hearts. I have to admit it was the best things I had there. It is an all you can eat meat fest. They come out with meat on sticks and cut off pieces of it right in front of you and it is great. I am so full and it was good. Food baby. Although I might have gained back all the weight that I´ve lost which brings me to the new total. 15 pounds. I am down to 177 from 192.

I am going on strong I ran a mile in 8 minutes and 57 seconds, which is my fastest time ever. Even when I was fit and doing marching band. I am so pleased with my self.

Well I have got to be going now. I love you all and I hope that I get to hear from you. Oh and Britteny Peterson I just want to say congratulations on the little guy, and that last trimester doesn´t get you too down.

And Mom, I want to thank you. Your letters keep coming every week with out fail and it is such a good feeling to know that you are always there for me, as well as everyone else for that matter. You like me, you really like me.

Sincerely Your Son, Brother, and Your Friend,

Elder Caleb Spencer Carriere.

PS. Happy Late Birthday Melanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment